Fort Nelson Chamber of Commerce Celebrates 60 Years of Service to businesses in Northeastern BC
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Fort Nelson, BC – June 5, 2019
– The Fort Nelson & District Chamber of Commerce turns 60 today!
In 1959 a group of local businessmen and women formed an organization dedicated to community welfare and development and the Fort Nelson & District Board of Trade was incorporated under the Board of Trades Act on June 5th, 1959. The next few years saw Fort Nelson grow and an economic boom began in our area. Business prospered, the population expanded, and on June 14, 1961 the Fort Nelson & District Board of Trade changed its name to the Fort Nelson Chamber of Commerce.
Today, the Chamber of Commerce continues to operate as a non-profit organization serving the interests of business and community. The Fort Nelson Chamber is comprised of members in a wide range of businesses, from home-based businesses, retailers and services, to farming, construction, manufacturing, transportation, oilfield and more.
The Fort Nelson & District Chamber of Commerce is funded through annual membership of it's member businesses and agencies along with various business events which enable us to advocate on behalf of business at municipal, provincial and federal levels. 2019 President Ben Wall commented "The Chamber has been an important advocate for business friendly Provincial policy and legislation as well as supporting local business in whatever way we can in some difficult economic times, and I am looking forward to seeing what the future brings"
The primary functions of the Chamber are:
"I am grateful to all the volunteers over the years that have worked so hard on behalf of our businesses and community" said Bev Vandersteen, Executive Director, adding that “While we can't name all the volunteers who have given their time to the Chamber we truly appreciate all their work and dedication - The Chamber and the Northern Rockies have directly benefited from their efforts."
The current Board of Directors can be found at https://www.fortnelsonchamber.com
- To promote a better understanding of the private enterprise system.
- To coordinate the efforts of commerce, industry and the professions in maintaining and strengthening a sound and healthy business climate in Fort Nelson, and the surrounding area.
- To provide creative business leadership and effective co-ordination of all interested parties in solving community problems and in initiating constructive community action.
- To create broad understanding and appreciation of the great opportunities in our area, and to promote the advantages and assets of this district and surrounding area.
Please join us for a free barbecue lunch at the
Chamber office June 12th, 2019 - 11:30 am to 2:00 pm